The Benefits of Herbal Tea
Herbal teas have been used for centuries, especially in the East, for the multitude of medicinal qualities that they possess. There are a plethora of teas available in vibrant colors, flavorful tastes and pleasant fragrances. Some of the general benefits of herbal tea include: reducing anxiety, supporting heart health, alleviating stomach problems, providing cleansing properties for the body and promoting energy and vitality.
Herbal infusions can contain a variety of ingredients from dried leaves, dried fruit, flowers, grasses, seeds and bark. Commercial fruit teas such as Rosehip are generally blended for flavor from artificial ingredients. They offer little to no health benefits whereas herbal teas usually contain real herbs and should be the tea of choice for the health-savvy tea-drinker. For an effective remedy, drink your preferred cup of herbal tea 3-4 times a day. When it comes to store-bought tea, try to buy organic. But teas made from organic leaves are more effective than ground tea bags. It’s important to remember not to let water reach boiling point when heating it, as the heat will kill the nutrients in the leaves.
The following is a list of herbal teas and their medicinal effects:
• Chamomile fights mild anxiety, is an anti-inflammatory, an anti-spasmodic and great for treating mild insomnia.
• Fennel is a wonderful digestive aid and also a diuretic that helps clean the kidneys and rid the body of toxins.
• Ginger is used to treat nausea; colds, indigestion, headaches, circulation and can help fight infection in its early stages.
• Ginseng gives energy and vitality to the body and serves to lift moods.
• Hibiscus reduces high blood pressure and relieves menstrual cramps.
• Green Tea speeds up metabolism thereby aiding weight loss. It’s also high in antioxidants and helps in tissue regeneration. This, in turn protects against aging.
• Slippery Elm is a bark that relieves stomach cramps and other gastro-intestinal issues such as indigestion.
• Peppermint is an effective “stomach healer” as it alleviates stomach cramps, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and gallstone problems. Peppermint also strengthens the immune system and boosts mental power.